If you are interested in more information, you can send us an email through the Contact page.
What is WINGS?
WINGS is a non-profit organization of individual angel investors interested in financing seed and early stage, privately held, medical technology companies located in Washington State. WINGS facilitates the introduction of entrepreneurs to potential investors through presentations and other mechanisms.
How to Become a WINGS Angel Investor
Qualified individual investors are invited to become Angel Investors with WINGS. Participation as a WINGS Angel Investor is at the discretion of the WINGS Angel Investor Committee and is subject to annual renewal, non-renewal, revocation or termination by the WINGS Angel Investor Committee.
Interested parties should contact WINGS Program Manager, Yesenia Green at firstname.lastname@example.org, (206) 456-9580 to receive a WINGS Angel Investor Agreement and related documents.
The WINGS Angel Investor Committee will review your application and then the Program Manager will provide applicants with a response. (Your payment, whether by check or credit card, will be held for processing until after your membership has been approved.)
Requirements for a WINGS Angel Investor
- WINGS Angel Investors must qualify as an "accredited investor" as defined under Rule 501 of the SEC regulations, which defines an individual accredited investor as: "a natural person whose individual net worth, or joint net worth with that person’s spouse, exceeds $1,000,000 at the time of the purchase (Note: For this purpose "net worth" means (a) total tangible assets (excluding your primary residence) as currently valued less total liabilities (excluding any indebtedness secured by your primary residence that in the aggregate is not in excess of the fair market value of such residence), less (b) any indebtedness secured by your primary residence incurred within 60 days of the purchase of the securities, unless you incurred the indebtedness to purchase your primary residence)" OR "a natural person who had an individual income in excess of $200,000 in each of the two most recent years or joint income with that person’s spouse in excess of $300,000 in each of those years and who reasonably expects to reach the same income level in the current year."
- WINGS Angel Investors must be interested in making an investment in a company based in the state of Washington.
- WINGS Angel Investors must agree to abide by the terms and conditions of the WINGS Angel Investor Agreement.
- WINGS Angel Investors must pay annual dues.
- WINGS Angel Investors make minimum angel investments of $25,000 per year, though not necessarily with WINGS deals.
Benefits for WINGS Angel Investors
- WINGS holds Dinner Meetings four times per year. During the dinner, three to four pre-screened companies make presentations of their business plans for WINGS Angel Investors’ consideration. Afterward, there will be time for discussion of WINGS Angel Investors' observations and analysis.
- Access to “WINGS Only” website (managed by Gust), which includes:
- Access to all deal flow that has gone through the WINGS Screening Committee.
- Copies of all presentations and supplemental company materials.
- WINGS Angel Investor Discussion Areas online forums to confidentially discuss or comment on business plans, companies and general angel investing topics with other WINGS Angel Investors.
- Educational programs on topics in angel investing.
- Opportunity to interact with other angel investors and industry leaders in the Medical Technology field.
Special thanks to our sponsors for their generous support of WINGS.
University of Washington, Center for Commercialization
The Rainier Club
W.H. Coulter Foundation at University of Washington Bioengineering
Stratos Product Development
SVB Silicon Valley Bank
RBC Royal Bank
Fenwick & West LLP
Ernst & Young
WINGS – The Washington Medical Technology Angel Network (WINGS) provides a forum for the matching of entrepreneurs of early stage medical technology companies with investors who are committed to funding high-risk opportunities. WINGS does not evaluate or endorse any of these investment opportunities and makes no recommendations regarding the appropriateness of particular investment opportunities for any investor. WINGS makes no independent investigations to verify the factual information submitted to potential investors and WINGS makes no representations or warranties with respect to the information provided by applicant entrepreneurs. As a result, potential investors must conduct their own investigation of the merits and risks of each investment opportunity, and negotiate the terms of their investment on their own. All investors are strongly encouraged to seek legal and other professional counsel prior to making such investments.
Participation as an angel investor of WINGS does not constitute an offer by WINGS to sell or the solicitation by WINGS of an offer to buy any investment interest in the business ventures of applicant entrepreneurs. Any sale or purchase of an investment interest shall be a private transaction between the entrepreneur and the investor members without any participation by or remuneration to WINGS. WINGS has no financial interest in any firm posted on the WINGS web site or presented to the angel investors. WINGS meetings do not constitute an offer by WINGS to sell or solicitation by WINGS of an offer to buy any securities of any presenter company. WINGS does not function as a broker-dealer or investment advisor and is not registered as such with any federal or state securities regulator.